Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This Here's Nishiki Country...

Good Day!
Well, the sun is shining, and the rains have subsided. It's back on the bike time and I will never ever hibernate through the winter again. It doesn't do anyone any good.
So, in my contemplating the commute from Culver City to Burbank again, I built up a new (old) bike. Embracing the "steel is real" philosophy, I picked up a 1986 Nishiki Prestige from a seller on Craigslist. By all accounts, I should have stripped the frame and repainted, but just wanting to take a crack at rebuilding and overhauling a bike for the first time, I left it.
So now instead of rolling up to work on my graciously donated Cannondale, I'm now pedaling along on a proper tank of a bike. The bike came with these gold anodized Araya rims, so I trued them up and repacked the bearings over at Bikerowave in Santa Monica, and wrapped them with Continental Contact touring tires. Stripped all the parts off, replaced the headset, brake levers, cables, and chain. Swapped out for a new-to-me front deralieur. Added a Jandd lightweight rack for the back and... Wow. I've done a lot to that bike.
Either way, rode up to work for the first time this year last week and made it. The reward for an hour of climbing is flying at 30mph down Barham Blvd. to the Studio. Not bad.

So, I think that I'll be saving on fuel costs the more I ride into work. Just too bad that the fat I lose won't be made into biodiesel. That would be very gross. "Soylent Fuels"?

No comments: